Are you an ethical vegan that works a less-than-vegan job? Don’t worry. It’s completely understandable Yes, the judgements will come on strong—sadly, you should expect that and arm yourself to deal with it. But you have to make a living, of course. So keep going until you make your way to something better—and it will come!
Meanwhile, it’s worth looking into jobs that will fit perfectly into your vegan lifestyle. These jobs usually involve:
- Helping/ saving/ rescuing/ caring for animals
- Raising awareness
- Helping others follow this amazing lifestyle, and so much more!
Here are some of the jobs I personally feel are absolutely amazing avenues for fellow vegans to pursue.
- Writer: Yes! Writing on a variety of vegan topics is a wonderful career to pursue, especially if you enjoy doing research and love promoting the vegan lifestyle. You can even make some extra cash if you have your own vegan blog. The best part is that you know the content you are putting out is helping to inform people and improve their lives as vegans.
- Chef: Please become a vegan chef! I’m going to personally speak for all the vegans throughout the world when I say that we definitely need more vegan food in restaurants, and even more importantly … more vegan restaurants! So go ahead and apply your culinary skills to improving the wonderful world of food. Yum.
- Manufacturer: There are so many vegan products that you can produce in your own home. Every year, billions of animals are abused as multiple products—from cosmetics to household cleaners—are tested on them. Most of these contain animal products too. So why not invest in making your own cruelty-free soaps, shampoos, scents, candles, cleaning products … the list is endless! You can sell them online and even get your foot in at your local stores.
- Environmentalist/ Zoologist: If you are great at sciences like chemistry and biology, studying something like nature conservation or entomology could be the way to go for you. There are many people who would rely on your expert opinion, and it’s a great and powerful way to make your voice heard. After all, who can argue with science?
- Vet: Helping sick and wounded animals? Yes—any day. Of course, this is the dream of many an animal-loving vegan, but it takes a very special kind of person to excel in this line of work. You need to be compassionate but strong. It’s very difficult to see animals in pain. If you have what it takes, let me be the one to say that the world needs more people like you. You should absolutely pursue this career
- Nutritionist: What I’m about to say is slightly childish, and definitely not a good enough reason to enter a new career, but imagine being able to shut naysayers up by simply telling them, “I’m a qualified nutrition. Where are you getting all your knowledge from?” Brilliant! On to more substantial thoughts though: this is perfect if you would like to assist people in leading a healthier and more active lifestyle—and with no animals harmed in the process.
There are many other inspiring vegan career ideas you could look into. As a matter of fact, almost any skill or passion you possess could lead you into a vegan career. It just takes some research and ingenuity—and lots of hard work—but it truly pays off.